Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Why did I?

In response to my last blog post about the history of R.I.S.E. I feel compelled to share my own story, and explain why I became so involved in the group and wanted to help out so badly.

When I was a child, I was raped by my cousin for 2 years. It didn't start out as rape, it started out as mutual sexual intercourse, but I had no clue what was going on, and he took advantage of that. As soon as my childish brain could grasp what was going on, I demanded he stop, and he refused. I was introduced to some very twisted things, where pain and pleasure went hand in hand.

SOME OF THE FOLLOWING WILL BE GRAPHIC:

I'm going to tell you some of the worst of it here, because I want victims reading this, who have experienced these same things, to know THEY ARE NOT ALONE. It is awful, but you can live through it and come out on the other side, alive.

My cousin was slightly younger then me, but he was bigger, stronger, and much smarter then me. He tied me up, gagged me, pretended to rape me as a child, preformed bestiality on me with the help of his dogs, and caused me much more pain, just to hear me scream. Anything that caused me pain turned him on. Finally, he found ways to make me enjoy the sex because my body is still only human. Despite everything, I believe that was the was worst part, because I wanted nothing pleasurable from him.

(END OF GRAPHIC PART)

He was a very sick and twisted individual. But despite what was done to me, I can now look at him and say I pity him. Someone somewhere taught him these things, maybe even did these things to him too. Control and power were huge deals to him, and I'm pretty sure he was victim himself, but he took a much more negative path then I ever did. I cared only about the others. He admitted in sheer perverse pleasure that while I was being abused he was also raping at least 5 other girls at the same time. I cried for them, wondering what became of them. Did they die? Did they recover? How could I find them and tell them they weren't alone?

One day, I found out my abuser was caught kissing a child I babysat. I was sure he was setting things up to make her his next victim, and I decided to speak out. It was one thing to hurt me, but not the babies. I came forward to my family, who all but rejected me, unable to believe someone so young could commit terrible acts like that, especially since he was family. Rejected, I was left to deal with this on my own, reading, studying, doing everything I could to learn how to get over it. I read somewhere that in the state of Texas, if it is a minor-on-minor case, the oldest is at fault. This meant I could never take my attack to trial.

Angry and hurt that both my parents and the courts were against me, I shoved my feelings in and went into a sort of numb shock for many years. When I was 18, I reinvested myself in recovery, unable to bear the silence any longer. I began checking out support groups, forcing myself into therapy. In my groups, I was the youngest person to attempt recovery, most waiting until their early 30's before trying to heal. This baffled me. I did not want to go the rest of my life carrying this weight.

I found R.I.S.E. while scoping out other sexual abuse groups online, and it caught my interest because it not only covered all three aspects I struggled with, but it specifically covered incest. I was tired of this fact being swept under the rug by most groups, and I wanted to prove how grateful I was that someone 'finally' was taking notice. I made few music videos and pictures for R.I.S.E., but I wanted to do more. Facebook was just taking off so I offered to make them a group page, which later turned into me making this blog and a twitter account.

I spread the message of R.I.S.E. everywhere - emails, signatures, phone calls, my support groups, where ever I could. I eventually asked the founder, Kylie, if I could become the spokesperson for R.I.S.E., and she agreed.

I love this group and the people in it with all my heart. But mostly, I want R.I.S.E. to touch the people that have never come out with their stories. I want it to reach those five girls who's names I never knew. I want it to reach people like that 11 year old that was gang raped everyone supported her rapist. I want it to touch them and tell them we are here for you, we want to help you heal, you are not alone.

I want to help R.I.S.E. go nationwide. I want it to be a name that you can just say, and people automatically know what you're talking about. I want there to be more walks, more chants, more counseling groups, and centers available for people suffering from all, or one, of these issues. I want to go from college to college spreading the work of R.I.S.E. And finally, I want to make it okay to go into high schools and tell them where to find the help they need to recover, because that's the time many kids are getting hurt and suffering, because most people won't speak up about these issues at such a young age.

I hope you will help us get R.I.S.E. there. I hope you want to help break this silence, and prevent other from suffering alone like we did. I hope you want to be that hand offering help, like we do. Join us in spreading the message. Together, we are never alone!

-Rindi

Check out more about R.I.S.E. at any of the following:
Website: avoiceforheather.tripod.com
Myspace: myspace.com/avoiceforheather
Blog: avoiceforheather.blogspot.com
Facebook:www.facebook.com/avoiceforheather
Twitter: www.twitter.com/VoiceforHeather
Email: VoiceforHeather@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment