Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Take Back the Night 2011, TWU

As many of our members know, I went to Texas Woman’s University on April 11th, 2011 for their annual Take Back the Night rally.

For those who don't know, Take Back the Night was started in Philadelphia in October of 1975. According the the website history, the citizens of Philadelphia came together after the murder of young microbiologist, Susan Alexander Speeth, was stabbed by a stranger a block from her home while walking alone.

“Take Back The Night’s supporters have always understood the power of speaking out. Rape, sexual assault, sexual abuse and domestic violence are often labeled “crimes of silence” because of low reporting rates and social discomfort with their public discussion.”

TBTN has a foundation called Shatter the Silence, where victims can post and share their own stories. They also sell shirts, posters, whatever you might need for your own TBTN event. They even offer legal help and information on how to organize your own TBTN in your area.

TWU’s event was held by a group called Project Rev (short for revolution), “is a federal grant-funded program that provides resources for victims of the following crimes: dating or domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking. “

Project Rev had set up several booths that provided counseling services, medical health services, poster making stations, and free food and drinks. They had several speakers come forward and lay out the statistics and myths of sexual abuse crimes, really managing to hit home why this was such a big deal to speak out about. They then had everyone make one huge group to shout several TBTN rally chants as they marched through campus. The final and most meaningful part to me was when they turned the stage over to the victims and let them speak.

They carefully set up two microphones. One was labeled media, which meant if you picked that one to speak, your story would be recorded and played on the news. If you chose the other, it was shared only with the group present. It was a very touching and emotional moment as one by one survivors came forward and shared not only their story, but how they were healing. I spoke briefly about R.I.S.E. and I also shared over 30 fliers in that one night.

When it was over, I stood gathering my stuff, and a man approached me. He shook my hand and thanked me for sharing my story. My speech had been about those that had yet to come forward and how the members of R.I.S.E. where there to speak for them. I wanted people to walk away knowing that we cared even if they never had the courage to step forward. As I shook that man’s hand, a knowledge passed between him and me; I stared directly into his eyes, and knew that he had been a victim too. I don’t think he’d ever shared his story, except to maybe one or two close friends, but in that moment I knew there was so much more he wanted to say, but right then that was all he had.

To the man that shook my hand, I want to say thank you. You are the reason I do this, the fact that it touched you is more than I could ever ask for. I hope we meet again, and maybe talk one day, but if we don’t, I certainly will never forget you, or your unspoken story.

All in all, a very touching and powerfully inspiring night. Below, I’ve included links to the TBTN website, Project Rev, a news article/video of the night (I’m at 0:30 seconds with the cane), and a couple of photos from the march...





Take Back the Night: http://www.takebackthenight.org/index.html

Project Rev: http://www.twu.edu/project-rev/

CBS DFW News: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/04/11/hundreds-march-to-take-back-the-night-at-twu/

No comments:

Post a Comment