Monday, November 7, 2011

Movie Recommendation #2 - Speak: Date Rape

From the R.I.S.E. Facebook:

“You see, if something’s eating at you you gotta find a way to use it.” – Melinda

-In the movie, Melinda uses the pain of her date-rape to create art. This is not a solution, but it can help the healing process. Try it sometime. –Kylie [Founder/President]

“It happened. There's no avoiding it. No forgetting.” – Melinda

-Many people shut out what happened to them, and some even repress memories, but in order to heal, we have to face it. We have to accept that it happened, and there’s nothing we can do about it. Only then can we begin healing. –Kylie [Founder/President]

“I think you should know what you stand for, not just what you're against. You should be able to show how things can be better.” – Melinda

-Don’t just focus on the negative, but focus on how you can make it better. I think this also applies to RISE. We try not to just talk about the negative things, but we try to focus more on ways to make it better, because most of us know how horrible this stuff is, but not everyone knows that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And that light’s name is Hope. =] –Kylie [Founder/President]


*Please note that if you haven't seen this movie, prepare for a lot of flashbacks of the very realistic and disturbing rape scene. However, the end result is very healing, especially for those who have been through it. It helped me a lot... -Kylie [Founder/President]

SooMee:

I have seen that movie and I thought the end was awesome.

The movie I had trouble watching and still do; I get flashbacks, flinchy, withdraw for awhile. I can't really say there is a good ending to it and it makes me want to kill the mother, but watching it in a way helped me to express myself and let me know it's ok to cry.

Kylie:

Movies are a good doorway to healing, and even though the road can be bumpy and uncomfortable, in the end, it's worth it. =]

Thanks for sharing!

Kylie [RM]
RISE Founder/President

Check out more about R.I.S.E. at any of the following:
Website: avoiceforheather.tripod.com
Myspace: myspace.com/avoiceforheather
Blog: avoiceforheather.blogspot.com
Facebook:www.facebook.com/avoiceforheather
Twitter: www.twitter.com/VoiceforHeather
Email: VoiceforHeather@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment