Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Madonna Comes Out About Rape



Pop Icon Madonna recently revealed in Harper’s Bazaar Magazine that she too was a victim of rape. She describes how her rough start in NYC motivated her and inspired her work, making her one of the most recognizable names in the U.S.  

She described her younger years as being seen as “strange,” keeping her from making many friends.

“But it all turned out good in the end, because when you aren’t popular and you don’t have a social life, it gives you more time to focus on your future.”

She moved to New York City to make herself famous, but it wasn’t all flashing lights and parties.
“My apartment (was) broken into three times. I don’t know why; I had nothing of value after they took my radio the first time,” the “Vogue” singer wrote. “The first year, I was held up at gunpoint. Raped on the roof of a building I was dragged up to with a knife in my back.”

On that roof she was brutally raped. Though Madonna does not specify how old she was, the Michigan native arrived in the Big Apple in 1978 — meaning she would be around 20 at the time of the attack.

The budding star did not report the sex assault to cops, Lucy O’Brien wrote in her 2007 biography, “Madonna: Like an Icon.” Instead, she “internalized” the brutality that left her “crying and shaking on the roof.” The incident became a crucial moment not only personally, but also in Madonna’s artistic development.

“Her anger at the attack came out afterward in a need for complete sexual control,” O’Brien said. “Sex became a mask, a way of psychologically turning the tables on her attacker.”

The assault became a source of endless motivation for the Material Girl.  “She encountered her own worst possible scenario, becoming a victim of male violence, and thereafter turned that full-tilt into her work, reversing the equation at every opportunity,” O’Brien wrote.

Throughout the essay Madonna returns to a theme she’s certainly familiar with: Daring.
“If I can’t be daring in my work or the way I live my life, then I don’t really see the point of being on this planet,” she wrote.

At the age of 35 she decided fearlessness meant something much different than it did when she was 25. “I needed to be more than a girl with gold teeth and gangster boyfriends,” Madonna wrote. “More than a sexual provocateur imploring girls not to go for second-best baby.”

Instead, she found stimulation in Kaballah, “a mystical interpretation of the Old Testament.” The controversy over her spiritual awakening baffled her. “Was I doing something dangerous? It forced me to ask myself, Is trying to have a relationship with God daring? Maybe it is,” she wrote.

Ten years later, she would reinvent herself again, this time by moving to England and adopting two children from Malawi.

Props to Madonna for sharing her story. I think the more celebrities come out about what they've been through the more they inspire the new generation to not be afraid and to do something good with what they've experienced. End the silence and RISE.


Check out more about R.I.S.E. at any of the following:

No comments:

Post a Comment